Internal and external theft plagues all retail spaces. According to the National Retail Federation, billions of dollars are lost to inventory shortages each year. Besides marketing and sales, loss prevention is one of the major concerns of any brick and mortar business. It’s nearly impossible for any business to staff enough workforce to assure that theft doesn’t occur. This has made security cameras a necessary tool for surveillance, theft deterrence, and incident review.
In recent years, security camera surveillance technology has advanced alongside internet technology, creating streamlined solutions with more capability and accessibility. Gone are the days of closed-circuit video surveillance systems. The cloud-managed security cameras offered by Cisco Meraki combine a suite of cutting-edge functionality to protect your assets and business operations. This article will evaluate some of the benefits MV camera security systems have to offer.
The first commercially available CCTV system was introduced in 1949. This system failed to gain widespread traction, as it constantly had to be monitored and couldn’t record for playback. In 2018, surveillance technology has come a long way since its humble beginnings. Cisco Meraki’s state-of-the-art engineering never stops recording and allows for customizable video retention. The Meraki security system’s design allows for local playback and remote access while avoiding the lag and cyber-security threats that can plague digital systems. Meraki facilitates optimal functioning with the following features:
- Never Stops Recording – Since video is stored on the edge, cameras will continue to record even if the network connection fails. Solid state storage and intelligent software allow for customizable video retention.
- Bandwidth Conscious – Use WAN bandwidth only when needed. Less than 50kbps of metadata streams to the cloud per camera when footage is not being viewed, eliminating excessive WAN usage
- Cloud Managed – The Meraki cloud architecture is built for reliability, security, and scalability. Already supporting over one million networks globally, it features built-in redundancy, advanced security features, and a 99.99% uptime SLA.
- Centralized Cloud Management – The Meraki dashboard provides secure monitoring and management of all your cameras from anywhere in the world, no extra software required.
Traditional CCTV surveillance systems require intensive hardware and software installation. Wires must be thread throughout your building and connected to hubs, monitors, and power sources. Any missed connections or faulty wiring will result in complications and loss of service. Meraki’s MV camera surveillance system comes ready for quick deployment right out of the box. MV cameras come with the following advantages to increase their uptimes:
- Add cameras to a network before they even arrive
- Adjust both optical and software settings remotely
- Integrated, high-grade solid-state storage on each device
- 720p and 1080p high definition recording options
- IR illumination for nighttime security
- A range of models for multipurpose deployments
- 3-year warranty on all hardware
Earlier this year, surveillance camera integrated facial recognition software aided Chinese officials in capturing a criminal. While your business may not need advanced video technology for the sake of capturing criminals, Meraki MV cameras do offer capabilities that do expand beyond general surveillance. Meraki MV cameras are not only useful for loss prevention. They can help you monitor the movements of your customers to better meet their needs. By taking advantage of the following features, a business can make smarter decisions and increase revenue.
Motion Heat Maps
Quickly assess foot traffic in a retail store or monitor where hotel guests are congregating in the lobby. Motion heatmaps only require a small amount of metadata, rather than bulky video files, to provide results with big impact.
Learn which displays are attracting the most customers or how many people came to the office last Thursday. The ability to detect people using computer vision and increase accuracy over time through machine learning will provide deep business insights that were previously only possible with bulky servers.
Cisco Merakai MV Cameras provide cutting-edge video surveillance with convenience, ease, and flexibility. Not only will the smart, managed camera system protect your assets, it will also present opportunities to better serve your customers and increase sales. SKYE Technologies proudly offers Merakai MV Surveillance cameras among its suite of IT solutions. If you’re curious about how the system works, don’t hesitate to reach out today.